The Energy Department on Sept. 12 declined a request to extend the bid proposal deadline for a small business contract to deactivate and tear down low-risk and low-complexity structures for the Oak Ridge Office Environmental Management in Tennessee.
In questions posted on the procurement website for the potential $25 million contract, an unidentified stakeholder asked DOE to allow another week for submissions so potential bidders could attend the department’s Nuclear Cleanup Workshop in Alexandria, Va., last week, as well as the pre-proposal conference for the management and operations contract for the Savannah River Site during the week of Sept. 17. The SRS session was delayed by Hurricane Florence and is expected to be held in October.
The Energy Department replied it is not extending the amended deadline beyond 3 p.m. Eastern time on Sept. 24. The original deadline was to be Sept. 20.
In all, 27 primarily technical questions and answers about the procurement were posted Sept. 12. For example, DOE said it would not accept previously completed responses to past performance questions that were submitted for other federal procurements recently. The Energy Department also said the winning contractor will not be allowed to add members to its team or major subcontractors absent substitution of a new contract.
There are a number of old structures, containers, and concrete slabs in need of characterization and remediation at the Y-12 National Security Complex, the Oak Ridge National Laboratory, and the East Tennessee Technology Park (ETTP), DOE said in its August solicitation.
After the characterization is done, the same contractor might be asked to do the actual deactivation and teardown, according to the notice.